1. Today is Religious Freedom Day, and here’s the proclamation from the White House: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-donald-j-trump-proclaims-january-16-2018-religious-freedom-day/
2. Apropos of that, a new report highlights the plight of persecuted Christians around the world: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/a-look-at-worlds-50-most-anti-christian-countries-77065
3. The Bishops of Belgium are calling out the abuses of their country’s assisted suicide/euthanasia regime:
4. Somebody really, really, really needs to get the Vatican staff to bring their game up above it’s current embarrassing and destructively incompetent level: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/vatican-papal-honor-for-pro-abortion-politician-not-a-sign-of-support Not as bad as Hawaii emergency management, but still awful.
5. A bill moves forward in Congress that would help victims of child pornography: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/bill-to-aid-victims-of-child-pornography-passes-senate-judiciary-committee
6. An amazing photo album of the secret paths Irish Catholics used to go to Mass during the Penal Law days: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/secret-paths-ireland-catholic-forbidden-mass-photography That’s why religious freedom is so precious.
1. Canada has their own Doctor Death, who specializes in both abortion and euthanasia: http://www.lifenews.com/2018/01/10/doctor-secretly-euthanizes-nursing-home-patient-says-she-did-nothing-wrong-and-will-kill-again/
2. Normal doctors (i.e., those with consciences) report experiencing distress after helping someone commit suicide: https://www.mercatornet.com/careful/view/how-does-assisting-with-suicide-affect-physicians/20870
3. And no matter what assisted suicide advocates say, their alleged safeguards have built in loopholes that guarantee that the law will be much broader than advertised: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/11/diabetics-eligible-physician-assisted-suicide-oreg/
4. The NY State Task Force on Life and the Law has issued a report (with a powerful minority dissent) calling for the legalization of commercial surrogate parenting contracts: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/state-advisory-panel-seeks-ban-childbirth-surrogates-article-1.3749955?cid=bitly
5. Good grief, there really is something seriously wrong with priestly and episcopal theological formation in Germany: https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2018/01/11/german-bishop-urges-church-debate-blessing-sex-unions/
6. David French says some very important things about the addiction crisis, things that aren’t being said often and loudly enough: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455369/american-life-expectancy-declined-again-elite-care-more-about-trump-tweets
7. The silly and vulgar-named pink hats from the Women’s March are being ditched because they’re apparently offensive to “transgender women”, who, er, shall we say, lack the qualifying equipment (or is that just a social construct?): https://tinyurl.com/y7vkp2d5 We live in a strange world.
1. The Speaker of the House will address the march for Life: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/speaker-paul-ryan-will-headline-march-for-life-45163
2. The Senate is planning to take a vote on the Pain-Capable Unborn Chile Protection Act: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-vote-on-20-week-abortion-ban-coming-this-month/article/2645321 Don’t get hopes up – it needs 60 votes to close debate and is unlikely to get them. Still, please contact our senators: https://www.humanlifeaction.org/action-alert/urge-senators-pass-pain-capable-unborn-child-protection-act
3. Connecticut will soon have a Chief Justice who, while he was a legislator, launched a direct attack on the freedom of the Church: https://cruxnow.com/uncategorized/2018/01/11/connecticut-chief-justice-nominee-accused-anti-catholic-bias/
4. Fascinating story about how a British political leader who is a Christian was pressured into denying truths of his faith: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2018/01/10/former-liberal-democrat-leader-i-regret-saying-gay-sex-isnt-a-sin/
5. School district pays transgender student $800K for the trauma of using the bathroom of her biological sex: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/us/transgender-wisconsin-school-lawsuit.html What are the chances that other institutions will hold firm against gender ideology nonsense, with that potential exposure?
6. This is where the pressures of gender ideology intolerance leads: http://babylonbee.com/news/two-genders-tortured-employee-forced-say-darkened-room-google-headquarters/ (Warning – Satire Alert!)
1. Wesley Smith exposes the lie that Oregon’s assisted suicide law is limited only to terminally ill patients who have no remaining treatments available –their government admits that a chronically ill patient can qualify himself for assisted suicide by declining any treatment and thus making him “terminally ill”: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/455264/oregons-permissive-assisted-suicide-regime
2. A Tennessee constitutional amendment denying a state right to abortion survives a challenge to the way in which it was adopted: https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/09/appeals-court-upholds-vote-count-tennessee-abortion-measure-amendment-1/1017274001/
3. Some states have governors who are not devotees of the Temple of Moloch: http://www.lifenews.com/2018/01/09/nebraska-governor-pete-ricketts-will-cut-off-all-taxpayer-funding-for-planned-parenthood/
4. Another Assembly representative opts for the NYS Legislature retirement plan (i.e., federal prison): http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/01/09/pamela-harris-brooklyn-ny-assembly-indicted/
5. Amazing photos of a devotional procession in the Philippines: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/01/the-2018-procession-of-the-black-nazarene/550094/
1. The Bishops lament the Administration’s “heartbreaking” decision to expel 200,000 Salvadorans and as many as 190,000 children who are US citizens: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/us-bishops-end-of-protected-status-for-salvadorans-is-heartbreaking-35469 The statement: http://www.usccb.org/news/2018/18-004.cfm And during National Migration Week too.
2. The union of assisted suicide and organ donation is truly frightening: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/455186/canada-conjoining-euthanasiaorgan-donation
3. Assisted suicide advocates are not giving up in NY: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/279757/aid-in-dying-supporters-make-plea-for-local-support/
4. The Supreme Court declines to hear a case that challenged Mississippi’s Conscience Protection Act: http://thehill.com/regulation/367891-supreme-court-refuses-to-hear-challenge-to-miss-lgbt-law
5. Nice profile of the pro-lifers who brave the elements to give witness at the Temple of Moloch in lower Manhatan: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/new-york-pro-lifers-counter-culture-of-death-at-margaret-sanger-center
1. A huge win for the religious liberty and free speech rights of pregnancy centers in the 4th Circuit, which struck down a discriminatory mandatory disclosure law from Maryland: http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2018/01/4th-circuit-win-for-pregnancy-care-center-in-compelled-speech-case.html
2. The Holy Father’s annual address to the diplomatic corps is a State of the World Address from the Church’s perspective, and well worth reading: http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2018/january/documents/papa-francesco_20180108_corpo-diplomatico.html
3. New Ways Ministry, a long-standing dissident group, does what it does best – dissent from the Church’s teaching about the absurdity of gender ideology: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/bishops-letter-on-sexual-identity-prompts-lgbt-counter-lobbying-22776
4. The insatiable anti-religious fanatics at the ACLU are targeting another religious adoption agency for its deviation from the current orthodoxy: http://www.becketlaw.org/case/dumont-v-lyon/
5. Every so often, evil eugenicists give voice to exactly what evil despicable thoughts they’ve been thinking all along: http://www.lifenews.com/2018/01/04/university-professor-promotes-killing-disabled-babies-time-to-support-eugenic-abortion/
6. Word of the day: “Decadence (noun): moral degeneration or decay, turpitude, unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence”. Examples de jour from the US http://www.chron.com/sports/article/The-Lingerie-Football-League-is-coming-to-Houston-12471158.php and Europe http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42552687 (add “blasphemy” to the second story too)
7. An Only in New York Story — a stolen monstrance is found abandoned on the subway: http://blog.newadvent.org/2018/01/stolen-monstrance-recovered-from-thief.html
1. The week of January 7 to 13 has been designated by USCCB as National Migration Week. Here are resources: https://justiceforimmigrants.org/take-action/national-migration-week/ Take action here to support the DREAMers, whose fate is one of the central issues in the negotiations in Congress: https://justiceforimmigrants.org/action-alerts/national-migration-week-2018-take-action-support-dreamers/
2. Giving credit where credit is due, amidst all the chaos and nonsense the Administration has done some positive things to limit abortion, and promises more: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455090/donald-trump-abortion-pro-life-victories-year-one So much of an improvement from the prior Administration, and so much better off than if Herself had been elected.
3. But since there are never enough abortions for the Cult of Moloch, cultists are lamenting that NY hasn’t been pro-abortion enough: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20180102/HEALTH_CARE/180109996/new-york-trails-other-states-on-reproductive-rights-laws-in-2017
4. So Governor Abortion is still trying to expand abortion: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/279614/cuomo-mixes-new-and-old-in-2018-state-of-the-state-agenda/
5. The high priestess of the Temple of Moloch is upbraided for her chronic abuse of language to hide the ugliness of the billion-dollar business she is in: http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2018/01/cecile-richards-and-the-casual-abuse-of-language.html John 8:44
6. David Mills has some good advice for us all — maybe we should stop talking about things that are outside our lane: https://aleteia.org/2018/01/03/advice-for-2018-shut-up-about-what-you-dont-really-know/ A good New Year resolution for yours truly.