1. France has made it a crime to post pro-life information online: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/12/02/french-national-assembly-approves-bill-outlawing-some-pro-life-websites/ We really can’t thank the Founders enough for the First Amendment.
2. Good coverage of a very important and powerful conference on the suffering of Christians in the Middle East: https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/12/07/panel-genocide-indifference-will-make-mideast-christians-extinct/
3. Assyrian Christians, who have borne so much of the suffering, have ransomed some of their captive brethren: https://apnews.com/44faaba91b3445e3be4d6f97f53bc74b
4. Although I know my religion is right and I’m not part of the “religious right”, the lecture by Russell Moore on the future of the religious right is well worth considering: https://www.firstthings.com/article/2017/01/can-the-religious-right-be-saved
5. On the seemingly-insatiable desire of progressives to force compliance with their ideology: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-12-02/chip-and-joanna-gaines-vs-the-left-s-doomed-coercion Strange, isn’t it, that Native Americans protesting a pipeline on religious grounds are lionized, while Christian bakers are demonized.
6. And their intolerance has electoral consequences: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/12/07/the-supreme-court-oral-argument-that-cost-democrats-the-presidency/?utm_term=.5ecdd1c3fd67
1. The Ohio legislature has passed a fetal heartbeat bill: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/07/politics/ohio-abortion-bill/index.html
2. The Senate GOP buckles to pressure and removes religious liberty protection from a spending bill: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/senate-republicans-remove-religious-liberty-amendment-from-defense-bill
3. A world-wide survey by the International Red Cross shows widespread acceptance of torture in wartime: https://www.icrc.org/en/document/global-survey-reveals-strong-support-geneva-conventions-growing-indifference-torture Inside the report – 46% of Americans support torture of prisoners of war, only 30% oppose.
4. Note to pro-life legislators – being pro-life means that we take care of vulnerable children too: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/28/texas-quietly-moves-forward-cuts-therapy-services/
5. A sad legal battle over the fate of frozen embryos has gotten the attention of the media, but only because it involves a sexy celebrity, not because human lives are at stake: http://pagesix.com/2016/12/06/sofia-vergara-sued-by-her-own-embryos/
6. There’s still some life among the Catholics of France: https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/12/07/zombie-catholics-may-determine-future-france/
7. I need to be clearer in my historical wisecracks. In yesterday’s Varia, I referred to our VP as “Thomas Cromwell”. I was thinking of the unprincipled collaborator with Henry VIII who betrayed the Church, not Oliver Cromwell the fanatical genocidal regicide. Maybe I should have referred to the Duke of Norfolk, to stay within A Man for All Seasons.
1. A call for greater support for Christians who have been victims of genocide in the Middle East: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international/308856-words-are-not-enough-us-must-support-christians-who-survived
2. Yet the recently-passed State Department funding bill has nothing in it for Christians: http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2016/12/congress-passes-state-department.html (PS – I checked the actual bill text, it contains only one irrelevant reference to Christians)
3. And the authorities in the UK won’t even let Middle Eastern Archbishops into their country to participate in a religious ceremony: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/12/05/archbishops-from-syria-and-iraq-blocked-from-visiting-the-uk/
4. The advocates for assisted suicide continue to lie, lie, lie: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/442805/assisted-suicide-mendacity
5. So, let me get this straight — President Abortion and VP Thomas Cromwell were fine for Notre Dame, but the President-Elect isn’t, because, well, just because: https://cruxnow.com/rns/2016/12/05/president-trump-may-not-get-invite-notre-dame-graduation/
6. Happy St. Nicholas’ Day:
1. It is really amazing that anyone would still have any trust in anything said by any major media outlet about any subject related to abortion: https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/2016/12/2/abortion-shocker-major-media-aghast-concerning-new-texas-rules-on-burial-of-fetal-remains
2. We are not the only country with out-of-control Black-Robed Platonic Guardian Rulers on the Courts: http://religionnews.com/2016/12/01/partial-decriminalization-of-abortion-in-brazil-provokes-ire-of-religious-right/
3. The “ghost towns” of northern Iraq are the testament to the nihilistic hate that is in the heart of ISIS: https://cruxnow.com/uncategorized/2016/12/03/syriac-catholic-patriarch-horrified-seeing-iraqi-ghost-towns/
4. A very disturbing study of the political attitudes of young people towards democracy: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/western-liberal-democracy.html?_r=1
5. The cause for canonization of an American-born martyr is moving forward: http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2016/pope-recognizes-martyrdom-of-oklahoma-priest-killed-in-guatemala.cfm An amazing story of heroism for the Gospel.
6. It’s the 100th anniversary year of the apparition of Fatima. Here are ways to get the plenary indulgence: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/three-ways-to-obtain-an-indulgence-during-100th-anniversary-of-fatima
1. A new Texas law on the proper disposition of human remains after abortions pierces through the web of lies and self-delusion: http://www.nationalreview.com/node/442562/print
2. The nominee for HHS secretary has good pro-life credentials: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/tom-price-appointment-to-head-hhs-met-with-pro-life-applause-60115/
3. Why can’t animal rights sympathizers show the same kind of empathy to unborn children? http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2016/11/17914/ Because their minds are clouded by sin.
4. Now alcoholism is a reason for euthanasia in the Netherlands: https://www.mercatornet.com/careful/view/netherlands-offers-euthanasia-for-alcoholics/19066 It cannot be contained, it will always spread – that’s what the Cult of Thanatos wants.
5. A power-packed panel will discuss the threats to Christians in the Middle East: http://www.theanglospheresociety.org/crisis-for-christians-in-the-middle-east.html
1. Archbishop Kurtz responds in a very personal way to the French ban on the video of happy people with Down Syndrome: https://cruxnow.com/commentary/2016/11/22/syndrome-video-banned-france-moved-u-s-archbishop/
2. Further proof, in case we needed it, that hostility to religion and adherence to the “diversity” cult make you dumb: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442375/indiana-city-changes-name-good-friday-be-more-inclusive
3. A new initiative to bring attention to the persecution of Christians around the world: https://cruxnow.com/analysis/2016/11/26/two-hints-somethings-stirring-anti-christian-persecution/
4. Pro-lifers in California continue their battle against a discriminatory law that coerces pregnancy centers into promoting abortion: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/californias-pro-life-battle-defeat-in-the-appeals-court-a-focus-on-the-futu