1. Some valuable insights into Christianity and politics, courtesy of C.S. Lewis: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/opinion/sunday/the-political-magic-of-cs-lewis.html?_r=0
2. Canadian "ethicists" call for the elimination of pro-life doctors: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/440365/abort-euthanize-or-get-out-medicine
3. Another Catholic school is challenged for standing up for the truth of our faith regarding human sexuality: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/gay-student-sues-school-after-he-couldn-t-bring-boy-n652151
4. The heck with evidence, they’ll still keep arguing that freely-available abortion is essential to reducing maternal mortality: www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/health/maternal-mortality.html
5. Looks like I’m going to live forever: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/high-fat-cheese-the-secret-to-a-healthy-life/
6. Thinking of watching the “debate”? Consider reviewing Titus 3:1-11 beforehand. Some good stuff in Proverbs 15 too. I’ll be watching the Yankee game.
1. The Holy Father and other world religious leaders issue passionate calls for peace: http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2016/09/peace-alone-is-holy-not-war-in-francis.html
2. A powerful article by a homosexual man who has gone from supporting the re-definition of marriage to conversion to Christianity: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2016/09/17513/
3. Five hundred Catholic scholars rally to the defense of the Church’s teaching on contraception and sexual morality, in response to a tired, hackneyed, publicity-driven attack by all the usual suspects saying all the usual things: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/500-catholic-scholars-lash-back-at-humanae-vitae-critics-50088/ Here’s their statement: http://trs.cua.edu/humanae-vitae/ News flash to the dissenting academics — it’s not 1968 anymore.
4. Bishop Malone, the head of the USCCB Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth, calls for a renewed commitment to the Church’s teaching on contraception: http://usccbmedia.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-churchs-teaching-on-contraception.html
5. The enemies of life has set their sights on the District of Columbia with a new bill to legalize assisted suicide: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/20/dc-council-to-consider-right-to-die-legislation/
1. Reminding people that the Magisterium is really found with the bishops, not in pandering politicians or heretical apologists for murder, the USCCB rebuts both the Dem VP candidate (http://www.usccb.org/news/2016/16-120.cfm) and “Catholics for Choice” (http://www.usccb.org/news/2016/16-118.cfm)
2. The USCCB also rebuked the US Civil Rights [sic] Commission for its attack on religious liberty: http://www.usccb.org/news/2016/16-117.cfm
3. It’s apparently okay to play college sports games in China, a ruthless evil totalitarian dictatorship that systematically abuses human rights, but the NCAA gets the vapors about playing games in a state that says that boys are boys and girls are girls: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/us/ncaa-leaves-north-carolina-in-a-new-spot-sapped-of-sports-pride.html?_r=0 Hope the fainting couch is nearby.
4. Staring into the abyss of the Culture of Death – scientist believe they can “create” babies without eggs through genetic manipulation: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37337215. Mary Shelley was a prophet.
5. A detailed map of where people in same-sex “marriages” are living, which is remarkable for how few there are – nowhere more than 4% of all married couples (and that’s in SF): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/upshot/the-most-detailed-map-of-gay-marriage-in-america.html
6. Restrictions on free speech come in on little cat’s feet, but can easily grow into tigers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/09/13/congress-to-allow-special-restrictions-on-speech-inappropriate-with-respect-to-race-gender-sexuality-ethnicity-or-other-intrinsic-characteristic/?utm_term=.7b3ee30e0d50
1. Unborn babies can be killed at will, but by all means give "rights" to nature: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/439991/nature-rights-court-case
2. The US Civil Rights [sic] Commission has issued a report that explicitly equates religious liberty with bigotry: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/09/09/commission-says-religious-liberty-should-not-top-civil-rights/
3. What is it about the Democratic Vice-Presidential nomination that makes people think they’ve been elevated to the See of Peter? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/10/kaine-predicts-catholic-church-will-change-its-teaching-on-gay-marriage/
4. USCCB urges the government to finally settle the HHS Mandate litigation, as ordered by the Supreme Court: http://www.usccb.org/news/16-116.cfm
5. Egg-freezing parties? http://matthewpinto.com/cracking-phenomenon-rise-egg-freezing-parties/?%3Feggfreezing Don’t what to know what’s next
1. New York’s Attorney General has made it clear that NY is open for business for late-term abortions, for any reason whatsoever: http://www.archny.org/news/new-york-late-term-abortions
2. The Administration in DC is jumping through hoops to make sure that their friends at the Temple of Moloch continue to feed at the public trough: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/7/obama-administration-stunt-would-force-states-to-f/
3. Gender ideologues in Massachusetts are targeting churches: http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2016/09/massachusetts-agency-says-transgender.html
4. When marriage is re-defined to mean nothing, it can mean anything: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/07/mom-daughter-charged-with-incest-after-getting-married-in-oklahoma.html
5. Light on the Varia in the next few days — in DC for meetings.
6. Happy Birthday, Blessed Mother!
1. An atheist doctor reflects on her examination of Vatican records of medical miracles offered during the processes of canonizations: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/opinion/pondering-miracles-medical-and-religious.html?_r=0.
2. Fr. James Martin satirizes the media’s skepticism about St. Theresa, by wondering how they would have covered Jesus: http://americamagazine.org/content/all-things/jesus-visits-town-trailing-controversy.
3. Opposition to porn gets a boost from a very unlikely advocate: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/you-dont-have-to-be-religious-to-be-opposed-to-porn-34883/
4. The Culture of Death continues its march through the remnants of the medical profession: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/439703/promoting-infanticide-newsweek?target=author&tid=73549 and http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/439749/organ-harvesting-unconscious
5. Allegedly Catholic hospital system decides to re-define its public identity by removing the names of saints from their institutions: http://www.ibj.com/articles/60229-franciscan-to-remove-saints-names-from-a-dozen-hospitals.
6. Great video illustrating the Holy Father’s prayer intentions for the month, courtesy of the Apostleship of Prayer: http://apostleshipofprayer.org/the-pope-video.
1. Our Black-Robed Platonic Guardian Rulers on the Courts in NY have decided to re-define parenthood to suit modern fancies, in other words to mean basically anything and nothing: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/31/nyregion/new-york-court-parental-rights.html?_r=0.
2. Scathing critique of the Justice Department’s bogus and disgraceful arguments in the Texas gender identity case: http://www.libertylawsite.org/2016/08/29/regulatory-dark-matter-and-the-corruption-of-the-department-of-justice/
3. Anti-terrorism experts in the UK are warning churches and clergy that they may be the next targets of attack by ISIS: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/experts-fear-isis-terrorist-knifemen-8702162.
4. Bishop Barron considers who’s responsible for so many young people leaving the Church, and suggests that we look in the mirror: http://www.wordonfire.org/resources/article/apologists-catechists-theologians-wake-up/5257/.
5. When in need, have you tried Mother Theresa’s “Flying Novena”? http://www.ncregister.com/blog/joseph-pronechen/mother-teresas-express-line-to-heaven-novena