1. Ireland is voting today on the repeal of their constitutional protection of unborn human beings. If passed, the repeal will have far-reaching consequences beyond abortion: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/repeal-s-constitutional-change-would-carry-deep-legal-implications-1.3504345
2. Just in case anyone still believes that Amnesty International actually supports human rights for all: https://www.amnesty.org/en/what-we-do/sexual-and-reproductive-rights/abortion-facts/
3. Another miracle of pre-natal medicine once again exposes the irrationality of those who think an unborn child is just a non-person potential life blob of tissue right to privacy woman’s choice: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/health/fetal-bone-marrow-transplant.html
4. And just in case anyone still believes that the Democratic Party still respects religious freedom for those who dissent from the new sexual orthodoxy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/05/22/top-senate-democrats-introduce-bill-to-amend-religious-freedom-restoration-act
5. A pregnancy center strikes back against the campaign of lies: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pro-life-pregnancy-center-demands-removal-from-libelous-video-13368
6. The Holy Father on homosexuality: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/report-pope-francis-affirms-church-practice-against-admitting-gay-men-to-seminary-65273
7. The pro-life pope: https://aleteia.org/2018/05/24/pope-phones-woman-planning-to-abort-her-baby-convinces-her-to-choose-life
1. A California appeals court upheld the lower court’s rejection of their assisted suicide law: http://gpbnews.org/post/court-upholds-ruling-against-californias-assisted-suicide-law
2. Just look north to see what legalization of assisted suicide will bring – Quebec shows a huge increase in death by doctor: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.ca/2018/05/quebec-euthanasia-deaths-increase-by-67.html Note also the significant reporting problems, including refusals by doctors to submit information.
3. And a CDF document on end-of-life issues may be in the works: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/pope-hints-at-new-cdf-document-on-end-of-life-issues
4. Gender ideology is now dividing mainline Christian churches, and taking them away from orthodoxy: https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/2018/5/22/waves-of-transgender-news-add-to-difficult-agenda-confronting-religious-traditionalists Maybe the CDF could take a look at this next?
5. The evil regime in China can’t abide the statue of a martyr: https://www.ucanews.com/news/saints-statue-removed-as-repression-gathers-pace-in-china/82399
6. Rats, the end of the world happened on April 23rd and I missed it: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/april-23-apocalypse-nibiru-rapture-end-time-myth-science/
7. Pray for Ireland!
1. I blogged on the terrible anti-Muslim comments generated by a religious freedom ad on our Facebook page, and the need to fight for religious freedom for everyone: http://www.archny.org/news/what-do-you-see-in-this-picture
2. Interesting story about how the Susan B Anthony List went from skepticism to full-out support for the President: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/22/anti-abortion-forces-trump-561191
3. Cardinal Mueller calls out the totalitarianism of gender ideology: https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2018/05/22/ex-vatican-doctrine-czar-calls-homophobia-a-hoax-psycho-terrorism/
4. Another vicious assault kills an unborn baby, but thanks to NY’s outmoded laws, it can be done with impunity: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/stabbed-pregnant-woman-loses-unborn-child-bronx-article-1.4002884 The consistency with our wide-open abortion law is obvious.
5. Cardinal Dolan offers some words of wisdom and charity, but also asks for clarification: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/dolan-popes-reported-remarks-to-gay-man-while-beautiful-could-require-clarification-91809
6. The political divide in America is creating a two-party system where one is religious and the other not: https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/05/the-new-divide-in-american-politics
1. Nice profile of the dedicated Irish pro-lifers who are fighting to preserve their constitutional protection of unborn children: https://cruxnow.com/church-in-uk-and-ireland/2018/05/21/irish-save-the-8th-activists-become-pro-life-role-models/ Pray for Ireland!
2. The pro-life movement needs to emphasize adoption and foster care much more: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/adoption-foster-care-must-be-pro-life-priority/
3. Amazing that a major news outlet is actually reporting on a new study that shows that women who have had abortions face an increased risk of mental health problems: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abortion-tied-to-sharp-decline-in-womens-mental-health/
4. China may finally end its evil two-child policy: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-21/china-said-to-consider-ending-birth-limits-as-soon-as-this-year
5. Once again, proof that sin is infectious and corrupts everything it touches – Swiss euthanasia clinic head is accused of financial exploitation: https://www.thelocal.ch/20180518/head-of-swiss-assisted-suicide-group-dignitas-in-court-on-charges-of-profiteering
6. Next tool in the pro-life argument – 3d prints of your unborn child: https://3dprint.com/207320/embryo-3d-printed-babies/
1. Blogged about the latest attack on religious liberty, this one in Philadelphia: http://www.archny.org/news/intolerance-in-philadelphia
2. The Administration announces plans to issue regulations that would ban federal contraception funding from organizations that also host abortion clinics (ahem, Planned Parenthood): https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/planned-parenthood-trump-cuts-funding-good-pro-life-step/ Starving the beast. Good job.
3. Important new document from the Holy See on the world economy. Here are two summaries: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/vatican-document-calls-for-ethical-discernment-in-face-of-vast-economic-ine and https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/analysis-the-solid-grounds-of-the-cdfs-new-economics-document-43963. Full document here: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20180106_oeconomicae-et-pecuniariae_en.html
4. Church leaders speak out about the violence in Israel: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/catholic-leaders-decry-use-of-disproportionate-force-at-gaza-israel-border-30968
5. The Holy Father calls for peace: https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2018-05/pope-francis-appeal-peace-holy-land-middle-east.html#play
6. One hundred twenty-two years ago today the Supreme Court blew a gigantic hole through the Fourteenth Amendment by upholding “separate but equal” segregation, laying the legal foundation for Jim Crow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plessy_v._Ferguson It took sixty years to correct this injustice. The clock is still ticking on Roe v. Wade, but we never give up hope and hard work.
1. Philadelphia refuses to place children through a Catholic foster care agency – even though there’s a desperate need for placements — solely because of their intolerance of Catholic religious beliefs about same-sex “marriage”: https://www.becketlaw.org/media/breaking-philly-foster-families-ask-court-stop-city-shutting-critical-foster-care-services/
2. The courts, at the urging of the Administration (thanks!) continue to pound nails into the coffin of the HHS Mandate: http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2018/05/injunction-entered-against-obama-era.html
3. US birthrates continue to drop precipitously: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/388122-us-childbirth-rates-drop-to-30-year-low
4. The Church in Ireland is asking for prayers for the defeat of the referendum to repeal their pro-life constitutional amendment: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/church-pleads-for-prayers-ahead-of-irelands-abortion-referendum-97467
5. The Frassati Fellowship is sponsoring a prayer vigil here in NYC the night before the referendum: https://www.facebook.com/events/251051595631893/
6. We need to pray for our friends in the Methodist Church, whose bishops have endorsed a plan to remove the immemorial teaching of the Church on human sexuality from their Book of Discipline, and thus to make orthodoxy optional: https://religionnews.com/2018/05/14/united-methodist-activists-unsatisfied-with-bishops-recommended-plan-to-avert-schism/ This calls to mind Neuhaus’ Law – when orthodoxy becomes optional, it eventually becomes forbidden.
7. On this day in 1954, the Supreme Court righted an old wrong and ruled that “separate but equal” was a violation of the Constitution: https://www.thirteen.org/wnet/supremecourt/rights/landmark_brown.html Bravo.