1. A law professor denounces the murder-by-doctor law in California, in particular the Governor’s justifications for his signing the bill: http://news.nd.edu/news/61556-nd-expert-gov-jerry-brown-s-assisted-suicide-decision-selfish-and-short-sighted/.
2. A powerful testimony from a terminally-ill woman who opposed assisted suicide: http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/06/my-mom-just-died-of-brain-cancer-heres-why-she-opposed-assisted-suicide/
3. New study shows that suicide rates rise in states that have legalized PAS: http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/425139/assisted-suicide-increases-other-suicides-wesley-j-smith.
4. The ACLU sues a Catholic hospital system for refusing to perform abortions: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/this-catholic-healthcare-group-is-being-sued-for-refusing-to-provide-abortions-47998/. Some civil liberties are more equal than others.
5. In the battle over religious liberty, the Golden Rule clearly applies — the one who has the gold (e.g., big corporations who have bought into the gay ideology), is the one who sets the rules: http://www.cruxnow.com/life/2015/10/05/can-indiana-compromise-on-lgbt-rights-and-religious-liberty/.
6. An excellent piece on how we should be looking at the state of the Church: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2015/10/worried-about-the-church-become-a-child.html.
7. Where is the Don John of our day? Our Lady of the Rosary, please pray for us.
1. The Culture of Death claims another victim — California legalizes murder-by-doctor: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/05/us-usa-california-assistedsuicide-idUSKCN0RZ2BI20151005. This is very, very bad news. We are now facing an even more difficult fight here in New York.
2. I decline to read any Chicken Little reports about the Synod, but instead will read only official statements. Here are 10 useful things to do instead of reading commentary about the Synod: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/actsoftheapostasy/2015/10/04/10-things-to-do-instead-of-reading-about-the-synod/.
3. The Holy Father’s homily at the Mass opening the Synod: http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/homilies/2015/documents/papa-francesco_20151004_omelia-apertura-sinodo-vescovi.html
4. His address to the bishops at the opening of the Synod. Note his description of what a Synod is, and what it isn’t: http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2015/10/05/pope_francis_full_text_of_remarks_at_synod_opening/1176908
5. The Daily Press briefing: http://www.news.va/en/news/synod-on-the-family-press-briefing-day-1. Note that the explicit emphasis of the Synod is on pastoral solutions, not doctrinal changes.
6. Wesley Smith schools the pro-death camp on basic Biology 101:
7. Just in case you’re wondering what the enlightened forces of tolerance are thinking about, they’re thinking about totalitarian repression of religion: http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2015/10/ah-tolerance.html. And a certain Presidential candidate isn’t so far behind: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/425099/hillary-clinton-religious-liberty.
1. The supposedly pro-life party is really hopelessly amateurish when it comes to Planned Parenthood: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/lowry-abortion-planned-parenthood-cecile-richards-213211.
2. The Holy Father meets with reviled conscientious objector, which makes quite a statement: http://www.cruxnow.com/papal-visit/2015/09/30/what-it-means-that-pope-francis-met-kim-davis/ and http://theweek.com/articles/580405/why-media-lost-mind-over-kim-davis-meeting-pope-francis.
3. Of course, the Holy See’s crack communications operation immediately muddles the picture with its usual mish-mash of mush, fog, and confusion: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/vatican-clarifies-background-on-popes-meeting-with-kim-davis-47449/.
4. Bishop Olmstead of Phoenix issues a desperately needed pastoral statement, exhorting men to me real men: http://www.catholicsun.org/2015/09/30/bishop-olmsted-issues-apostolic-exhortation-on-masculinity/.
5. Blood, seed. The Oregon gunman singled out Christians for death: http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/. Please pray for all the victims, and their attacker.
6. I’m reading a wonderful book by Cardinal Sarah, "God or Nothing". Here’s a preview: http://aleteia.org/2015/10/01/exclusive-interview-with-cardinal-robert-sarah/.
7. Angel of God, my guardian dear…
1. Don’t read the spin in the mainstream media, listen to the Holy Father’s own words, which will all be found here: http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/travels/2015/outside/documents/papa-francesco-cuba-usa-onu-2015.html.
2. The Holy Father’s beautiful homily at the shrine of Our Lady of Charity in Cuba: http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/homilies/2015/documents/papa-francesco_20150922_cuba-omelia-santiago.html. "We are asked to live the revolution of tenderness as Mary, our Mother of Charity, did."
3. Simcha Fisher on the Holy Father’s comments about useless people, and what that means for us:
4. Go ahead, watch the video of the closing ceremony of the Women’s Ordination Conference, without hurting yourself laughing at these poor deluded souls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AerypGqd2mE#t=81. I dare you.
5. Did a visit to a supermarket lead the Holy Father to change his position on capitalism: http://www.theonion.com/article/pope-francis-reverses-position-capitalism-after-se-51363?
6. Requiem in aeternam, Yogi.
1. Today’s must-read — the Holy Father throws away his prepared homily and delivers a beautiful off-the-cuff talk on poverty: http://aleteia.org/2015/09/21/pope-francis-goes-off-script-to-deliver-passionate-homily-on-poverty/.
2. His beautiful homily at the shrine of Our Lady of Charity is also well worth your time: http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-in-santiago-learn-to-serve-like-mary.
3. The Cardinal on the need to reach out and form coalitions in order to advance the cause of life: http://cardinaldolan.org/index.php/building-alliances-for-life/.
4. Fr. James Martin takes on the daunting (but sometimes hilarious) task of correcting media goofs in their coverage of the Pope: http://papalvisit.americamedia.org/2015/09/21/papal-goofs-a-few-things-to-avoid-when-covering-pope-francis/.
5. People who are seeking to understand the Holy Father’s somewhat negative perspective on capitalism would benefit from reading this fascinating account of the troubled economic history of Argentina during his lifetime: http://papalvisit.americamedia.org/2015/09/21/argentine-capitalism-and-the-economic-memories-of-pope-francis/.
6. The Holy Father had some down time while changing planes on his way to the US: http://www.theonion.com/article/pope-francis-kills-3-hours-milling-around-atlanta–51352.
7. Fortunately, the Holy Father left some instructions for taking care of the Holy Spirit during his trip to America: http://www.theonion.com/article/pope-leaves-detailed-instructions-taking-care-holy-51353.