1. My blog on the latest attack on religious liberty by the NYS Education Department: https://www.archny.org/news/religious-schools-are-under-attack
2. Murder Incorporated sometimes admits that a human being in the womb is in fact a baby: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/planned-parenthood-film-confuses-terms-ignores-abortion/
3. The radical Irish abortion bill moves closer to passing, as their Senate rejects pro-life amendments: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/bill-to-legalise-abortion-clears-final-hurdle-in-oireachtas-37624663.html
4. An interesting discussion of the Brexit fracas with reference to Catholic principles: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/a-clericalist-and-apostate-state-why-jacob-rees-mogg-wants-out-of-the-eu-81546
5. The alphabet soup LGBTQWERTY moniker is no longer good enough, now they just want Q: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/dont-call-me-lgbtq/576388/ So, it’s still an insult to call someone “gay” but not to call someone “queer”? I can’t keep up.
6. A Kentucky priest is a missionary of mercy doing good deeds around the country: https://apnews.com/6893ae026b514e70a32d2e3c60e65c2a
1. Inspired by today’s reading from Isaiah, I ask if we can have a serious discussion about the wars we’re involved in: https://www.archny.org/news/can-we-talk-about-war
2. Assisted suicide advocates are trying again in Maine, this time by trying to get a ballot initiative started: https://www.pressherald.com/2018/11/29/maine-voices-dont-sign-petition-to-put-flawed-assisted-suicide-law-on-state-ballot/
3. Irish doctors are outraged that the government is ramming through a radical bill that may force them to do abortions: https://www.lifenews.com/2018/12/03/dozens-of-irish-doctors-storm-out-of-meeting-after-theyre-told-they-must-participate-in-abortions/
4. This is creepy and dangerous – an app created by the government of Indonesia that allows people to report religious heresy: http://www.asianews.it/news-en/App-for-reporting-on-religious-heresies-45628.html
5. The Holy Father couldn’t be clearer about the incompatibility of homosexuality and the priesthood: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/in-new-book-on-clergy-and-religious-life-pope-francis-addresses-homosexuality-27409
6. Kudos to Starbucks for blocking porn on their wi-fi: https://www.businessinsider.com/starbucks-promises-porn-blocking-tech-2018-11 Dunkin still makes better coffee.
1. Touching story about the bill that we drafted with the NYS Catholic Conference to change NY law to ensure that parents know they have the right to have the remains of their miscarried babies buried: https://abc7ny.com/politics/bill-would-amend-law-related-to-miscarriage-fetal-burial-rights/4774150/
2. Canadian doctors decry the slippery slope of euthanasia, which is rushing head-long to the killing of children: https://torontosun.com/news/national/euthanasia-in-canada-a-slippery-slope-concerned-doctors-of-ontario
3. Wesley Smith explains why “medical futility” is a dangerous predecessor to euthanasia: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/why-families-should-decide-when-to-pull-plugs/
4. Irish nurses are fighting for their freedom of conscience: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/nurses-petition-irish-govenment-on-freedom-of-conscience-23472
5. Sorry, I goofed the other day on the URL for the report on the reduced abortion numbers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2018/11/21/number-abortions-us-hits-historic-low/
6. Wonderful spontaneity at a papal audience: https://www.romereports.com/en/2018/11/28/a-boy-interrupts-the-pope-to-touch-a-swiss-guards-hand/ “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs thekingdom of God.”
1. An important and disturbing new documentary film series explains the damage being done by porn to individuals and society: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/new-documentary-shows-individual-societal-threat-of-pornography-84471
2. A Times op-ed by a very disturbed person shows the twisted thinking and tragic consequences of the transgender movement: https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/11/47220/
3. The number of abortions continues to decline: https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181124/lawmakers-in-no-rush-to-greenlight-marijuana (but be careful about citing these numbers, they exclude California and Maryland).
4. The Brave New World of “designer babies” (i.e., babies who have been genetically altered to fit the whim of a scientist) has arrived: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/11/26/670752865/chinese-scientist-says-hes-first-to-genetically-edit-babies
5. The Administration is in a conflict with pro-lifers over the funding of fetal tissue research: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/417814-anti-abortion-groups-in-standoff-with-trump-over-fetal-tissue-research
6. As the pressure mounts to legalize marijuana in New York, legislators should take a close look at the experience of Colorado to see what a terrible idea it is: http://www.ccu.edu/centennial/policy-briefs/marijuana-costs/
7. Ireland’s catastrophic abortion referendum, and its rush to enact extreme implementing legislation, may produce a new pro-life party: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/will-irelands-abortion-vote-launch-a-new-pro-life-party-67282 Curious that all the politicians cited are from the left-wing Sinn Fein party, and none from the supposedly conservative parties.
1. The new Dem majority in the State Senate is so gung ho on abortion that they’re saying the radical abortion expansion bill is their top priority: http://www.wrvo.org/post/abortion-rights-likely-first-order-business-nys-senate-january Of course there aren’t any other problems in NY that are worth looking at first.
2. The Holy Father continues to call out the West for its silence on the persecution of Christians: https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2018/11/18/world-looks-the-other-way-at-christian-persecution-pope-says/
3. Blood, seed: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/at-least-42-dead-in-cathedral-attack-in-central-african-republic
4. Canadians are warned that the legalization of assisted suicide will lead to a disaster for authentic palliative care: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/how-will-palliative-care-fare-in-canada-24804
5. The Administration issues a work-around for women whose employers take advantage of the HHS Mandate exemptions: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/17/us/politics/trump-birth-control.html
6. On the international front, some pro-life initiatives may be advancing in Italy: https://www.politico.eu/article/italy-abortion-divide-politics-gives-new-life-to-anti-abortion-campaign/
7. Seven score and fifteen years ago, the greatest speech in American history was delivered by Abraham Lincoln:
1. Suicide rates have gone up 34 percent among working age Americans since 2000: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p1115-Suicide-american-workers.html And still people are seriously considering legalizing assisted suicide — madness.
2. A pro-life Dem reminds people that saying you have a “whole life” ethic has to include the lives of those who aren’t born yet: https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/417112-the-whole-life-position-includes-the-right-to-life-for-the-pre-born
3. One house of the Ohio legislature has passed a bill banning abortions after fetal heartbeat appears: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ohio-house-passes-heartbeat-abortion-bill-51366
4. How do you even begin to understand the madness underlying this crazy story – a male teacher who is punished for refusing to watch a naked girl (who thinks she’s a boy) change clothes in the locker room: https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/14/florida-school-district-gags-p-e-teachers-telling-parents-girl-watching-naked-sons/
5. Great video showing children with Down Syndrome asking to be put on the Endangered list just like the animals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYPwP5Nec4
1. My blog on the atrocious election results in NY: https://archny.org/news/abortion-and-elections
2. Canada continues its plunge down the moral abyss – a hospital is actually advertising assisted suicide and euthanasia in their emergency room waiting area: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/canadian-hospital-waiting-room-promotes-euthanasia/
3. The AMA is still holding out in its opposition to assisted suicide: https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/ama/76288 But the battle continues: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2018/11/american-medical-association-continues.html
4. And Virginia has rejected an assisted suicide bill: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/virginia-catholics-praise-dismissal-of-assisted-suicide-by-state-legislature-16654
5. The UN Human Rights [sic] Committee is trying to define abortion and assisted suicide as “human rights”: https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2018/11/15/un-body-seeks-to-define-abortion-and-assisted-suicide-as-a-human-right/
Sincerely in Christ,
Edward T. Mechmann, Esq.
Director of Public Policy
Archdiocese of New York
1011 First Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Check out my blog: http://www.archny.org/steppingout
Please “Like” and “Follow” our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/archnypublicpolicy/
The Public Policy Office is funded by The Cardinal’s Annual Stewardship Appeal.
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31)