April 16, 2014
1. The political pressure builds in Albany over their failure to inspect abortion clinics: http://www.legislativegazette.com/Articles-Top-Stories-c-2014-04-14-87559.113122-Political-fallout-Continues-over-abortion-clinic-inspections.html.
2. And, just in case anyone from around the nation wonders why we New Yorkers hold our state government in such utter disdain and contempt, read this and be nauseated: http://media.cityandstateny.com/2/75/second-floor-nixed-commission-report-writer-for-internal-candidate.html#.U01zLlVdU47.
3. A significant number of patients labeled with a persistent vegetative state may actually have been mis-diagnosed: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/health/pet-scans-found-to-clarify-vegetative-state.html?ref=us&_r=0.
4. A woman who underwent IVF to get pregnant, would up carrying another couple’s twins: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/13/italian-women-who-underwent-fertility-treatment-pregnant-with-wrong-embryos/. Gal 6:7.
5. Ex-Mayor Abortion adds presumption and Pelagianism to the list: http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-bloomberg-nra-elections-gun-control-violence-2014-4. Pray for him.
6. Southern Baptist leader Russell Moore speaks frankly about marriage and the future, and the task ahead for all Christians who wish to remain faithful to the Gospel: http://www.russellmoore.com/2014/04/15/same-sex-marriage-and-the-future/.
7. Happy Birthday, Pope-Emeritus Benedict!
April 14, 2014
1. Kathryn Lopez explains why love should be at the center of our politics: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375675/loving-politics-kathryn-jean-lopez.
2. The Holy Father speaks very plainly about abortion: http://www.lifesitenews.com/pope-francis-calls-abortion-an-abominable-crime-in-strongest-remarks-to-dat2.html.
3. Colorado is fighting an extreme abortion expansion bill: http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/colorado-legislation-threatening-decades-of-pro-life-work.
4. So if you’re going to say anything negative about homosexuality, you may not be allowed into Canada: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-us-pro-family-activist-detained-by-canadian-customs-for-alleged-vi.
5. Ross Douthat explains that he can live with the progressivism in American institutions, it’s the dishonesty that drives him crazy: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/opinion/sunday/douthat-diversity-and-dishonesty.html?_r=2.
6. The truth is finally out there — the Vatican has been hiding aliens. http://www.catholicleague.org/vatican-hiding-aliens/. I have a confession to make…
7. Speaking of that, today is Reconciliation Monday in the Archdiocese, Brooklyn, and Rockville Centre — priests in every parish hearing confessions. How can you pass up an opportunity like that?
April 11, 2014
1. An appeals court in New York issues a stay of its ruling on the NYC pregnancy center law, so that the centers can appeal to the Supreme Court: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/nyc-pro-life-centers-gain-victory-in-free-speech-fight/.
2. See ya, Secretary Sebelius: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/us/politics/sebelius-resigning-as-health-secretary.html?hp&_r=1. Does she get to keep her health plan?
3. An excellent explanation of why surrogate parenting is wrong on many levels: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375364/why-gestational-surrogacy-wrong-jennifer-lahl-christopher-white.
4. An analysis of the oral argument in the Utah marriage re-definition case, which may be the first case to go up to the Supreme Court: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/04/utah-and-same-sex-marriage-issues-on-appeal/.
5. A study shows that divorce rates are actually climbing, and when you factor in cohabitation, there’s a tremendous amount of relationship instability: http://family-studies.org/divorce-its-way-bigger-than-we-thought/.
6. Blogged on the disgraceful failure of New York to inspect abortion clinics: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=3155.
7. Simcha Fisher prepares for Holy Week: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/simcha-fisher/the-evil-childs-guide-to-holy-week.
April 10, 2014
1. The media and government of New York have ignored the blockbuster report that abortion clinics go uninspected, so I guess it takes a political candidate to keep their feet to the fire: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/210394/astorino-dohs-shah-should-resign/.
2. The Cardinal writes to Catholic parents about how the Church was betrayed in the last-minute budget deals: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/timothy-cardinal-dolan-outraged-state-approve-tax-credits-article-1.1751311.
3. A quick scorecard on current same-sex "marriage" litigation: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/04/09/the-litigation-landscape-for-same-sex-marriage/.
4. The heavy money interests behind the push to enact a "gay rights" bill in Congress: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/gay-rights-bill-republicans-billionaires-105537.html.
5. They have black-robed Platonic guardian rulers on the courts in Italy too — a court struck down their ban on egg and sperm donation: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italy-court-overturns-ban-egg-sperm-donation-23255523.
6. The Holy Father warns of a "dictatorship of thought": http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-at-mass-be-vigilant-of-dictatorship-o.
April 9, 2014
1. The Mayor is going to change NYC policy and allow some religious groups to have equal access to public facilities: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/mayor-de-blasio-stands-religious-groups-worship-public-schools-blog-entry-1.1749593. Good decision.
2. The White House doesn’t seem concerned about the impact of the Affordable Care Act on churches and religious non-profits, but boy, do they care about how it will impact family planning clinics: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/hhs-spending-800k-studies-help-family-planning-clinics-survive-obamacare_786673.html.
3. More women are rejecting hormonal contraceptives for health reasons: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/more-young-women-choosing-health-over-birth-control/.
4. Occasionally, abortion advocates are honest and just admit that abortion is a back-up form of contraception: http://www.turtlebayandbeyond.org/2014/abortion/family-planning-and-abortion-two-sides-of-the-same-coin/.
5. Interesting new survey shows that more women are choosing to stay home to care for their families: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/04/08/7-key-findings-about-stay-at-home-moms/. Note especially the poverty stats — shouldn’t this be a significant part of the public policy discussion?
6. "Surrogate parenting" is an exploitation of women for money and the purchase of babies, in other words, human trafficking: http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/04/04/surrogate-parenthood-for-money-is-a-form-of-human-trafficking/
April 8, 2014
1. Documents obtained from New York State reveal that abortion clinics are rarely inspected: http://nypost.com/2014/04/07/health-department-fails-to-regularly-inspect-abortion-clinics/. Kermit Gosnell hearts NY.
2. The Supreme Court declines to hear the free speech case involving the New Mexico photographer: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/375210/supreme-court-turns-down-elane-photography-case-jordan-lorence.
3. A federal appeals court has denied the right of a religious group to equal access to public facilities in New York City: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/nyregion/new-york-can-block-religious-services-in-schools-appeals-panel-rules.html?_r=0. Second class citizens should know their place.
4. Seth Lipsky asks if it’s finally time to end the institutionalized anti-Catholic bigotry in New York: http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/time-to-end-nys-anti-catholic-bigotry/.
5. Ryan Anderson explains why same-sex "marriage" is not the same thing as interracial marriage: http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/04/marriage-reason-and-religious-liberty-much-ado-about-sex-nothing-to-do-with-race.
6. What the new gay totalitarianism means for the dissidents among us: http://thefederalist.com/2014/04/08/the-rise-of-the-same-sex-marriage-dissidents/. The power of the powerless rests in our testimony to the truth, and our refusal to conform to a lie.
April 3, 2014
1. The Holy Father offers some good advice to married couples: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1401345.htm.
2. The deeply confused state of medical ethics in the OB/GYN world, which calls on doctors to care for unborn children as a separate patient, unless the mother wishes an abortion: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2014/04/12939/.
3. Wesley Smith on how rationing medical care leads to pressure for assisted suicide: http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/374655/how-drive-dying-assisted-suicide-wesley-j-smith.
4. Mississippi passes a religious freedom bill: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/02/us-usa-mississippi-religion-idUSBREA311ZZ20140402.
5. A fascinating academic article that urges scientists to break out of their materialistic presuppositions, and study paranormal phenomena, including religious experiences: http://chronicle.com/article/Embrace-the-Unexplained/145557/.
5. Yet another reason to prefer Dunkin Donuts: http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/starbucks-barista-draws-satanic-symbols-in-coffee-foam/.
April 2, 2014
1. The intolerance of the forces of "tolerance" and "diversity", on ugly display in the UK: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/374705/oh-humanity-borders-inhumanity-kathryn-jean-lopez.
2. It was only a year ago, but it’s worth reading this account of how the Governor’s abortion expansion bill was defeated: http://www.humanlifereview.com/index.php/component/content/article/81-2014-winter/305-new-york-pro-life-coalition-turns-back-cuomo-abortion-effortfor-now. Eternal vigilance.
3. Focus on the Family is sponsoring a national "Day of Dialogue" for youth, to encourage open and loving conversations about God’s plan for love, sexuality and marriage: http://www.dayofdialogue.com/. This is one day prior to the pro-homosexual "Day of Silence", so please pray that many young people will have courage to withstand the backlash from the forces of "tolerance".
4. Archbishop Cordileone reminds people of the importance of remaining in full communion with the Church, particularly regarding Church teachings: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/san-francisco-archbishop-those-dissenting-from-church-teachings-shouldnt-re
5. If you have any prayers to spare this week, the Supreme Court will be considering on Friday whether to take the case of the New Mexico wedding photographer who declined to participate in a same-sex commitment ceremony. Here’s the background: http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/11/photos-as-messages-a-new-constitutional-case/.
6. So the canonization will be broadcast in 3d: http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/04/01/strategic_partnerships,_latest_technology_for_papal_canonizations/en1-786648. It’s a good thing JP II already gave the 3D glasses a test-run: http://f1.thejournal.ie/media/2013/02/bono-pope-john-paul-ii.jpg.
April 1, 2014
1. A judge in Arizona won’t block that state’s law restricting the use of abortion drugs: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/us/politics/judge-wont-block-rules-on-abortion-drugs.html?_r=0.
2. The evidence that sex-selection abortions are taking place in some communities in the United States: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/heres-the-missing-evidence-for-sex-selective-abortion-bans-south-dakota/.
3. Some indie film makers are turning to crowdfunding to raise money for a movie about Kermit Gosnell: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/gosnell-movie-americas-biggest-serial-killer_786268.html.
4. The Catholic men’s movement is growing all around our nation: http://www.catholicpulse.com/cp/en/columnists/drake/032514.html. A great sign of the new evangelization!
5. Leading by example, the Holy Father goes to Confession:
6. Opening Day!