March 10, 2014
1. Our friends at Alliance Defending Freedom have won another major victory for the free speech rights of pregnancy service centers: http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/4673. Thank you God! And kudos to Matt Bowman and Mark Rienzi, two great lawyers!
2. Apparently, there’s awful appalling evil discrimination and there’s heroic beautiful wonderful discrimination: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2014/03/04/go-and-learn-what-this-means-cognitive-dissonance/. Tolerance is a one-way street with a truck coming our direction.
3. Every day, an new abomination, with a new word attached. Now it’s "multiplex parenting": http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/372930/pushing-polyamorous-genetic-related-babies-wesley-j-smith.
4. It’s funny how sometimes courts don’t have a problem with the question whether corporation have constitutional rights: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/372903/day-liberal-judicial-activism-march-9-ed-whelan and http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/372894/corporate-personhood-me-not-thee-jonathan-keim. But when it comes to corporations run by religious people…
5. Kathryn Jean Lopez gives us a good overview of where we stand, a year into Francis’ pontificate: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/372979/doctor-kathryn-jean-lopez.
6. May I ask your help? One of my Lenten practices this year is to pray for other people. So if you have any intentions, please send them along. Thanks!
March 5, 2014
1. Pope Benedict warned of the "dictatorship of relativism". Matt Franck explains that the relativism has long been here, and now we’re getting the dictatorship: http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/03/abbot-zerchi-and-the-dictatorship-of-relativism.
2. Important article on the growing nation-wide battle against the legalization of surrogate parenting contracts: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2014/03/12104/.
3. Another state attorney general forswears his duty and refuses to defend his state’s law on marriage: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/us/kentucky-governor-says-state-to-hire-lawyer-to-defend-ban-on-gay-marriage.html?ref=us&_r=0.
4. More, more, more delays from the Affordable Care Act (sic), this time for insurance companies, still bupkis for religious people: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304360704579419511511171816?
5. Tolerance is obviously a one-way street (with a big truck coming in our direction): http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2014/03/04/go-and-learn-what-this-means-cognitive-dissonance/.
6. Blogged on Resisting the Dictatorship of Relativism: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=3122.
7. Dust, just dust.
March 3, 2014
1. Must-read of the day: Ross Douthat’s very challenging piece on what the future holds on religious liberty and marriage: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/opinion/sunday/the-terms-of-our-surrender.html.
2. Prof. Mark DiGerolami succinctly dissects the disgraceful media coverage of the Arizona bill, and wonders if the real desire among our ruling class is for the Religious Freedom Restoration Act to be repealed: http://clrforum.org/2014/02/28/why-not-repeal-rfra/.
3. Another city decides to suppress pro-life speech around abortion clinics: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/2/medical-facility-buffer-zone-law-in-court/.
4. Remember, the ideologues at Planned Parenthood dismiss the relevance of the beginning of human life because they’re in the business of killing people: http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/372314/why-planned-parenthood-doesnt-care-abortion-takes-human-life-wesley-j.
5. Our friends at C-Fam have now been put on a "hate map" by the ridiculous "Southern Poverty Law Center", because they are supposedly anti-LGBTWXYZ: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/372175/finding-hate-all-wrong-places-mark-krikorian. So defending natural law and Church teaching are now "hate". Good to know.
6. A beautiful and heartbreaking reflection by a pastor, about his mother’s abortion, and the need for liberation from the lingering power of guilt: http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/02/my-mothers-abortion.
February 28, 2014
1. Hey, defenders of marriage and religious liberty — those bus tracks on your back? Courtesy of the GOP leadership: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/us/arizona-bill-allowing-refusal-of-service-to-gays-stirred-alarm-in-the-gop.html?_r=0.
2. More evidence, this time from Canada, that marriage enhances economic prosperity: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2014/02/12370/. And a recent study that marriage education campaigns can help: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865596068/Marriage-education-programs-can-help-low-income-families-but-need-bolstering-report-says.html?pg=all.
3. Members of the Pontifical Academy of Life respond to the legalization of child euthanasia in Belgium: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/belgiums-child-euthanasia-move-lamented-as-unbelievable/.
4. The Holy Father’s Facebook page is almost ready to launch: http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/francesco-francis-francisco-social-network-social-network-redes-sociales-32373/.
5. Kathryn Jean Lopez presents a very important interview with a doctor who is helping Catholics struggling with depression: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/372068/getting-free-interview.
6. Ellen is certainly not on our side on the issues, but she really is pretty funny, as she shows in this imaginative piece on the Pope as comedian:
A laugh is a nice way to end a tough week for the good guys.
February 27, 2014
1. Texas is now ruled by a Black-Robed Platonic Guardian on the Court: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/texas-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-nullified/. Did you ever feel as if we might as well turn in our voter cards?
2. The Governor of Arizona vetoes the religious liberty bill: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/us/Brewer-arizona-gay-service-bill.html?ref=us.
3. As you would expect, most of what was said about the bill was utterly false: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/372024/religious-liberty-scholars-counter-egregious-distortions-arizona-bill-ed-whelan.
4. Mary Jo Anderson on the fake compassion of euthanasia: http://www.crisismagazine.com/2014/mocking-compassion-euthanasia-beyond-belgium.
5. Dr. Frankenstein, er, I mean the FDA, considers approving an assisted reproductive technique that involves combining three people’s DNA: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/health/fda-meeting-considers-controversial-fertility-procedure.html?ref=us.
6. The Temple of Moloch reveals their $18 million 2014 election strategy: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/planned-parenthood-2014-elections-104007.html.
7. John Allen on the relationship between Pope Francis and Pope-Emeritus Benedict: http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/02/27/pope-benedict-moves-quash-anti-francis-backlash/BX21KfWQ7jkdJVc71djSfO/story.html.
8. The good news is, and continues to be, and always will be, that God loves us, despite the mess we’ve made of things. Here’s a nice picture that reminds us of this, the only fact that really matters: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2014/02/i-just-love-this/.
February 24, 2014
1. Notre Dame loses its appeal in its HHS mandate challenge: http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2014/02/7th-circuit-affirms-denial-of.html.
2. A thorough dissection of the terrible opinion: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/371751/judge-posners-dog-regurgitates-matthew-j-franck.
3. A very interesting symposium is being held at SCOTUSblog, laying out all the competing arguments on the HHS mandate cases that are before the Supreme Court: http://www.scotusblog.com/category/special-features/contraceptive-mandate-symposium/.
4. Corruption in Albany crosses all political boundaries: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/02/23/albanys-ethical-compass-still-askew/5764201/.
5. The American Pediatric Association comes out against child euthanasia: http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/371741/pediatrician-group-opposes-child-euthanasia-wesley-j-smith.
6. It’s a day late, but perhaps we could offer a prayer of thanksgiving that God sent George Washington to America at just the right moment in history?
February 21, 2014
1. Oregon’s attorney general forsakes her oath of office and refuses to defend their marriage law: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/oregon-ends-defense-of-marriage-ban/#more-205390.
2. An Arizona religious liberty bill is passed by the Legislature, which would allow businesses to decline to provide services that would violate their religious beliefs: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/21/us-usa-gays-arizona-idUSBREA1K06M20140221.
3. The abortion rate may have gone down in NYC, but more black babies are still aborted than allowed to be born: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/nyc-more-black-babies-killed-abortion-born.
4. God bless the attorney for Notre Dame, who had to put up with this kind of abuse and nonsense from a judge during oral arguments in their HHS mandate challenge: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/371611/judge-posners-dog-ate-his-homework-matthew-j-franck.
5. Wesley Smith on the anti-humanism deep in the heart of the environmentalist ideology: http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/02/the-war-on-humans.
6. Take this cool dialect quiz and see what your word choice says about where you come from: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html. It nailed me dead on — Yonkers and New York City (Newark, too, but we’ll pretend that didn’t happen).
7. Today is the anniversary of the death of Dr. Bernard Nathanson. Please pray that his conversion may be a sign of grace and hope to those in need of healing from abortion.
February 20, 2014
1. In the debate about religious liberty and opposition to the redefinition of marriage, the key thing to remember and assert is that it is not the same thing as racism: http://theweek.com/article/index/256382/is-opposing-gay-marriage-the-same-as-being-a-racist.
2. Even Andrew Sullivan, of all people, sees that: http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/02/13/liberalism-vs-religious-liberty/.
3. On the lawlessness of public officials who violate their duty to defend their state laws on marriage: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2014/02/12107/.
4. A Montana Catholic school will no longer use the services of a coach who also works with Planned Parenthood: http://mtstandard.com/news/catholic-coach-fired-for-work-at-planned-parenthood/article_5dd3b3ee-9921-11e3-82f9-0019bb2963f4.html.
5. An explanation of why corporations have religious liberty rights (a key issue in the Hobby Lobby case): http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/symposium-congress-answered-this-question-corporations-are-covered/.
6. In Denmark, animal rights trump religious liberty: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/371453/animal-rights-come-religion-ed-whelan.
February 14, 2014
1. Belgium drops down the mine shaft into the Culture of Death, as it moves to legalize euthanasia for children: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26181615.
2. More of our Black-Robed Platonic Guardian Rulers on the Courts are making up the definition of marriage as they go along, history, tradition, common sense, and the will of the people be damned: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/us/federal-judge-overturns-virginias-same-sex-marriage-ban.html?ref=us&_r=0 and http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2014/02/court-says-kentucky-must-recognize.html. Perhaps it’s because of the penumbras, emanations and miasmas being put out by the "Spirit" of the Supreme Court’s lawless Windsor decision: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/370984/eric-holder-and-spirit-windsor-gerard-v-bradley.
3. Notre Dame is having a tough time in court in its fight against the HHS mandate: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-12/news/chi-judge-notre-dame-attorneys-spar-in-schools-health-care-law-appeal-20140212_1_contraception-mandate-notre-dame-oral-arguments.
4. Matt Bowman of Alliance Defending Freedom dissects the Government’s arguments submitted to the Supreme Court in the HHS mandate cases: http://washingtonexaminer.com/arms-control-and-those-obamacare-contraception-mandates/article/2543917.
5. Yes, the President is so committed to religious liberty around the world that he hasn’t filled the spot of Ambassador for Religious Freedom for four months: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/religion-news-22480877.
6. Beautiful ad with an unexpected pro-life, pro-woman message: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2014/02/we-are-so-much-more-than-what-we-seem/.
7. Blogged on a great interfaith pro-life event I attended the other day: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=3107.
8. Spring training!!