May 14, 2013
1. Tons of reaction to the Gosnell verdict, and its greater significance. A few examples: Greg Pfundstein (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/348231/knowing-what-we-know-and-what-we-do-not-know), Wesley Smith (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/348193/gosnell-did-what-many-bioethicists-advocate), Robert George (http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2013/05/abortion-on-trial.html).
2. My two cents: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=2842.
3. Senator Skelos uses the Gosnell verdict to reaffirm his opposition to the Governor’s radical abortion bill — please show him your support: https://www.facebook.com/senatordeanskelos.
4. The twisted response from NARAL: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/348190/what-world-needs-now-less-abortion-industry-oversight.
5. The Newsletter of the Cult of Moloch still has a hard time calling the victims "babies": http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/348208/fetus-fetus-fetus-fetus-fetus-fetus and http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/05/13/media-call-gosnells-victims-fetuses/.
6. Cardinal Dolan will be on the Fred Dicker radio show at 10:15 this morning to talk about the Gosnell case and the abortion bill — listen in live, or if you miss it they have it as a podcast: http://www.talk1300.com/.
May 13, 2013
1. The Holy Father addresses the March for Life in Rome: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/stay-focused-on-human-life-pope-tells-pro-life-marchers/ and http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/05/12/pope_francis:_regina_caeli_%28full_text%29/en1-691377. For the March: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/italian-pro-lifers-hope-rome-march-has-global-reach/.
2. Meanwhile, the ideologically blinkered functionaries in the White House took the opportunity of Mother’s Day to praise the availability of free contraception. http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wh-marks-mothers-day-celebrating-free-birth-control_722143.html. Um, I know they like to brag about their devotion to science, but don’t they realize that contraception stops people from becoming mothers?
3. An allegedly "Catholic" university is to give an honorary degree to a baptized Catholic who believes that it’s okay to kill unborn children, and who campaigns for a law permitting that atrocity, so the Cardinal Archbishop of Boston makes clear that he is not a quisling to the Culture of Death: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/boston-cardinal-to-boycott-graduation-over-honors-to-irish-official/.
4. The assisted suicide crowd continues to hide behind euphemism: http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/348041/assisted-dying-assisted-suicide.
5. Ross Douthat on how the left, right and the political class have all lost its moral sense of the evil of adultery and the importance of honor and fidelity in marriage: http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/mark-sanfords-god/ and http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/mark-sanford-and-the-future-of-marriage/.
6. Pretty funny ad satirizing the Governor’s women’s equality agenda (i.e., the cover for his abortion expansion plan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80GbWgYq1QE.
7. Thanks to deacon Greg, a beautiful video about true love: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2013/05/must-see-video-what-is-love/.
May 10, 2013
1. The horrors of the Gosnell trial are just business as usual for the ghoulish monsters of the late-term abortion industry: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/347719/just-another-26-week-elective-abortion.
2. But the abortion industry (and their enablers in the media) continue to rally around the flag: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/wp/2013/05/09/kermit-gosnell-and-the-abortion-movement-in-defense-of-the-defenseless/ and http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/truth-abortion-article-1.1337441.
3. Another woman gravely harmed by an abortion, this time at the headquarters of Planned Parenthood in New York: http://www.lifenews.com/2013/05/07/planned-parenthood-clinic-botches-abortion-in-new-york-city/.
4. A Congressman is able to give testimony to life thanks to his mother’s close call decision not to have an abortion: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/8/a-close-encounter-with-abortion/ and http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/347801/congressman-who-almost-wasnt.
5. A Congressional committee is asking states for information about clinic inspections: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/congress-demands-answers-on-abortion-facility-regulation-nationwide/.
6. UN abortion advocate laments their lack of progress: https://www.c-fam.org/fridayfax/volume-15/un-leaders-lament-20-year-failure-to-advance-abortion.html, and their advocacy is wearing thin in the patience of delegates: https://www.c-fam.org/fridayfax/volume-15/un-delegates-grow-weary-of-abortion-agenda.html. Cry me a river: (couldn’t miss the opportunity to put up video of the great Miss Ella).
7. A picture gallery helps us to see the vivid images used by Pope Francis in his homilies: www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/05/09/the-vivid-images-of-pope-francis/.
8. Scientists show that unborn babies can learn language in the last 10 weeks of gestation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22457797.
May 8, 2013
1. The Governor’s pro-abortion supporters put up a creepy ad in support of the "women’s equality" agenda that includes the radical abortion expansion plan: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/186597/womens-coalition-ad-has-pointed-fun-with-audio/. I thought it was an ad for their transgender rights bill. Weird.
2. Gosnell is not the only disreputable unsavory abortionist: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/347657/abortion%E2%80%99s-underside. Scary note: one of the horrible doctors cited in this story is currently practicing "medicine" in New York.
3. The case against no-fault divorce: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2013/05/10031/. The money quote: "No-fault divorce is destroying women, children, and men. More precisely, divorce destroys marriage, and the destruction of marriage harms every party involved. The legality of no-fault divorce just makes it infinitely easier to hurt people. "
4. Prof. Michael New is skeptical about the notion that greater contraceptive availability leads to fewer abortions: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/347650/contraceptive-availability-may-not-decrease-abortions.
5. Delaware joins the journey off the cliff into post-modern irrationality: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/delaware-gay-marriage/2142703/.
6. The Administration’s motion to dismiss its appeal in one of the HHS mandate cases may not be motivated by recognition of their error, but instead by some old-fashioned judge-shopping: http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2013/05/dc-circuit-grants-governments-strategic.html.
7. Ireland holds the line on assisted suicide: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ethicist-lauds-irelands-ruling-against-assisted-suicide/.
May 7, 2013
1. The Governor continues to push for abortion expansion: http://www.stargazette.com/article/20130506/NEWS10/305060045/Cuomo-continues-push-women-s-rights-agenda?nclick_check=1.
2. Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos insists that the abortion expansion bill won’t be moving forward: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/186521/icymi-skelos-says-abortion-plank-isnt-moving/.
3. Kirsten Powers, in a stunningly honest piece on abortion and infanticide: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/06/abortion-rights-community-has-become-the-nra-of-the-left.html.
4. The battle to defend life in Ireland continues: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/irish-bishops-abortion-expansion-would-be-tragic-moment/.
5. The Holy Father’s instructions to the bishops of Argentina include an interesting point about public officials and Communion: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pope-tells-argentine-bishops-to-use-doc-restricting-communion-for-pro-abort.
6. The Administration finally finds an organization that’s religious enough to meet their standards, conceding a litigation victory to a company that only publishes bibles, and uses all their profits to evangelize: http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/7667. Kudos to ADF!
7. Our friend Piero Tozzi on recent pro-life advances in Mexico: http://www.turtlebayandbeyond.org/2013/abortion/this-weeks-pro-life-victories-in-mexico/.
8. Just in case anyone wonders why we’re dubious about assurances that our religious liberty will be protected after the re-definition of marriage: http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/347330/gay-activists-versus-religious-liberty.
May 6, 2013
1. The Governor stresses that his end-of-session priorities include his abortion expansion bill — in fact, it’s his top priority: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/to-do-list-new-york-lawmakers-article-1.1334678#ixzz2SVELPhjU.
2. Just in case anyone wonders what we’re up against, the Governor’s political machine will spend $1 million in the next month promoting his agenda, including the abortion expansion bill: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324326504578465593766285434.html.
3. I blogged on the tasks ahead to defeat the abortion expansion bill: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=2835. Sure wish I had a million dollars, but we have a million prayers.
4. In case you’re wondering why the jury in the Gosnell case may take a while to deliver a verdict: http://www.lifenews.com/2013/05/03/why-is-the-kermit-gosnell-murder-trial-jury-taking-so-long/.
5. Robert George points out that there’s something at the heart of the trial that both Gosnell and he don’t understand: http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2013/05/what-kermit-gosnell-and-i-dont-understand.html.
6. Prof. Michael New once again debunks the idea (now appearing in "conservative" publications) that greater availability of contraception will reduce abortions and will be an overall wonderful thing: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/347427/re-abortion-and-pill-numbers. See Pope John Paul’s warnings about the "contraceptive mentality".
7. Very sad article about a woman approaching middle age, who has decided to freeze her eggs: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323628004578458882165244260.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6. Not a drop of selflessness in the entire piece, nor any recognition of the dignity of motherhood and true femininity. Sad.
8. On the other hand, there’s this beautiful (and pro-life) Mother’s Day ad: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2013/05/to-life-publix-salutes-moms-and-the-unborn/.