September 19, 2014
1. Governor Abortion is pressing legislative candidates to endorse the bill containing his abortion expansion plan: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/nyregion/cuomo-presses-legislative-candidates-to-back-womens-equality-act.html?_r=0.
2. Science once again demonstrates the incredibly bleeding obvious — men and women are different: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11087100/Yes-its-official-men-are-from-Mars-and-women-from-Venus-and-heres-the-science-to-prove-it.html.
3. Wesley Smith on the need to resist those who would deny human dignity to all: http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/09/standing-against-the-human-dignity-deniers.
4. The ostensibly pro-life party could actually better its electoral chances if it actually campaigned on abortion: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-09-17/republicans-can-still-win-on-social-issues. We need a real pro-life majority, regardless of party.
5. The noted legal scholar and renowned theologian, the Honorable Joseph Robinette Biden Junior Esquire, deigns to offer his sage advice to the Holy Father regarding the activities of the LCWR: http://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/2014/9/18/biden-and-nuns-on-the-bus-get-mostly-free-ride-from-nyt. Try not to injure yourself laughing.
6. Blogged on the lawless Administration, and the way that the Affordable Care Act is being implemented to ensure federal payments for elective abortions: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=3290.
7. Even if you hate the Yankees and the Captain, you’ve got to admit, this is a classy send-off:
September 17, 2014
1. Not that anyone’s particularly shocked at the news, but it’s been confirmed that the Affordable Care Act’s provisions on limiting insurance coverage for abortion are being completely ignored — over a thousand health insurance plans cover elective abortions, don’t follow the rules about segregating premiums that pay for killing, and government insurance regulators are not doing their jobs enforcing the law: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/388189/obamacares-taxpayer-funded-abortions-carl-anderson and http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/deluge-of-criticism-after-abortion-funding-revealed-in-health-care-law-60333/. The Culture of Death is always a Culture of Mendacity.
2. USCCB’s response: http://www.usccb.org/news/2014/14-154.cfm.
3. Thorny problems for Catholic health insurers and contraception/abortion mandates: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/rise-of-catholic-insurance-plans-raises-questions-about-contraceptive-coverage/2014/09/17/78caee70-3e57-11e4-a430-b82a3e67b762_story.html.
4. Justice Ginsberg says there’s no urgency for the Supreme Court to take up the marriage redefinition cases: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/16/justice-ginsburg-no-urgency-yet-on-same-sex-marriage/.
5. Just found out about a recent poll with very, very distressing numbers about porn use, particularly among Christians: http://www.provenmen.org/2014pornsurvey/pornography-use-and-addiction/.
6. Please pray for the Holy Father’s safety during his trip to Albania: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2758316/Pope-risk-assassination-ISIS-forthcoming-visits-Albania-Turkey-following-credible-threats-claims-Iraq-ambassador.html.
7. Happy Constitution Day!
September 16, 2014
1. The soul-crushing effects of abortion, on full tragic display in the Newsletter of the Cult of Moloch, er, I mean the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/opinion/this-is-what-an-abortion-looks-like.html. Please pray for this poor woman, who doesn’t even understand the state she’s in.
2. So a nation that won’t execute criminals will instead allow a convicted killer to be euthanized on request, because he has a right to die: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29209459. The Culture of Death is a Culture of Madness.
3. Insurers are still making it hard to find out if their health plans cover abortion: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/387993/obamacares-abortion-shell-game-arina-o-grossu.
4. The preparatory catechesis for the World Meeting of Families has been published: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/meeting-of-families-document-offers-global-perspective-12482/. Oddly, it’s not online so you have to buy it.
5. The mother and father of a Down syndrome child give a beautiful testimony to the happiness she has brought to their family, and denounce the elites who criticize parents who fail to abort their children with that condition: http://www.newsday.com/opinion/oped/how-our-maggie-transforms-our-lives-bruce-and-mary-kay-barket-1.9297509.
September 15, 2014
1. Christian health care workers file a complaint against California’s rule mandating that insurance plans cover elective abortions: http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/9307.
2. Pro-life organizations file an amicus brief in the Supreme Court defending the employment rights of pregnant women: http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2014/09/amicus-brief-of-pro-life-organizations-re-pregnancy-discrimination.html.
3. Yet another story of people who demanded that their surrogate parent kill the baby because she has a disability: https://www.yahoo.com/health/california-couple-shares-surrogate-story-in-wake-of-95207128652.html. Meanwhile, an Australian man is accused of abusing twin girls born to a surrogate: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/man-charged-with-sexually-abusing-twin-girls-he-fathered-with-thai-surrogate-30554957.html. Humans treating other humans as disposable commodities.
4. Petition against the Oklahoma City "Black Mass" gathers over 88,000 signatures: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/petition-against-okc-black-mass-draws-support-of-85000-85967/. You can sign here: http://www.citizengo.org/en/10852-stop-black-mass.
5. The Holy Father on fraternal correction with charity: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-francis-correction-without-charity-is-a-slap-in-the-face-87985/.
6. Oh, say, did you see? Yesterday was the anniversary of the raising of the flag after the unsuccessful bombardment of Fort McHenry, and the writing of the Star Spangled Banner poem: http://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/.
September 12, 2014
1. Another pro-life law passed on the state level, this time a Missouri law requiring a 72-hour waiting period: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/us/72-hour-wait-for-abortion-is-enacted-in-missouri.html?ref=us&_r=0.
2. Ohio’s law restricting free speech in political campaigns — all under the guise of prohibiting statements the government considers to be false (e.g., pro-life statements) — is struck down: http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-ohio-law-false-statements-20140911-story.html. Politicians across the nation, emboldened by this news, pledge to step up their mendacity campaigns.
3. A Chaldean Catholic bishop will present the White House with a list of 25,000 Catholics who wish to flee the persecutions in Iraq and come to safety in the US: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=22579.
4. Our allies the Saudis are arresting Christians for praying: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/09/10/saudi-anti-christian-sweep-prompts-calls-for-us-involvement/.
5. A selfie with Pope Benedict! https://twitter.com/CatholicNewsSvc/status/510339165779533824.
6. Perhaps we could offer a Hail Mary today in honor of her Holy Name and in thanksgiving for John III Sobieski: http://www.catholic.com/blog/christopher-check/under-marys-holy-name-victory-in-vienna-september-12-1683.
September 11, 2014
1. Petitions asking the Supreme Court to take up the marriage cases will be heard at their very first conference of the fall: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/09/same-sex-marriage-cases-set-for-early-look/.
2. The Supreme Court has also been asked to review the Louisiana case involving a threat to the seal of the Confessional: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/supreme-court-asked-to-defend-seal-of-confession-in-la-case-53807/. Here’s why it’s so important: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thejesuitpost/2014/09/facing-failure-why-the-seal-of-confession-is-inviolable/.
3. The forces of tolerance at California State Universities — you know, the kind that are actually bound by the First Amendment — decide that a Christian student group is beyond the pale because they insist that leaders actually be Christians: http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/09/intervarsity-christian-ministry-in-trouble-for-acting-christian.
4. Depressing survey showing how few Christians actually believe in the resurrection of the dead: http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/09/resurrecting-the-dead-in-america. The numbers for Catholics are dismal. Time for Four Last Things homilies, anyone?
5. Remember: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/nyregion/family-room-for-relatives-of-9-11-victims-is-recreated-in-albany.html.
6. Pray: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2008/april/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20080420_ground-zero-ny_en.html.
September 10, 2014
1. An important reminder of the crucial role of the laity in defending religious freedom: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/amid-mounting-religious-freedom-threats-role-of-laity-highlighted-53596/.
2. Making the case for focusing on the plight of Christians as a unique human rights problem: http://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/cornerstone/why-christians-deserve-attention.
3. Kathryn Jean Lopez on parades and presence: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/387541/presence-st-patricks-kathryn-jean-lopez.
4. My take on the parade and what it means for our mission: http://blog.archny.org/steppingout/?p=3281.
5. An amazing demonstration of brotherly love, proven through the rigors and pain of an Ironman triathlon: http://vaviper.blogspot.com/2014/09/feel-good-story-of-year-wheelchair.html.
September 9, 2014
1. The Administration presses forward with its war on women — that is to say, the effort to force the Little Sisters of the Poor to comply with the HHS mandate: http://www.becketfund.org/gov-continues-fighting-littlesisters/.
2. The horrors in the Middle East continue: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/world/europe/new-un-human-rights-chief-urges-action-to-end-conflicts-in-syria-and-iraq.html?_r=1.
3. A delegation of bishops is travelling to the Holy Land to pray for peace: http://usccbmedia.blogspot.com/2014/09/as-bishops-go-to-holy-land-to-pray-for.html.
4. They’ve released the official icon for the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in 2015: http://archphila.org/press%20releases/pr002430.php.
5. A beautiful reflection by Maria McFadden Mafucci about her wonderful mother (and pro-life hero) Faith McFadden: http://www.humanlifereview.com/faith/.
6. The Holy Father’s personal witness to building a culture of encounter and embrace: http://www.nationalreview.com/node/387433/print.
September 8, 2014
1. Cardinal George tells a tale of two churches: http://www.catholicnewworld.com/cnwonline/2014/0907/cardinal.aspx.
2. Now you can have a home test that will tell you the sex of your unborn child. But it’s okay, the company doesn’t recommend using the information for "family planning decisions": http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/387269/sex-selection-abortion-home-gender-test-wesley-j-smith.
3. Indiana, Wisconsin: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/09/indiana-wisconsin-same-sex-marriage-bans-fall/.
4. Apropos of that, a case study on how the view of one of our Black-Robed Platonic Guardian Rulers changed his mind about what the Constitution meant, based on changes in public opinion: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/08/richard-posner-on-the-constitutional-right-to-same-sex-marriage-in-1997-versus-today/. I guess he also changed his mind about the "We the People…" clause too.
5. So many heroic missionaries serve in dangerous areas, at risk of their lives — as witnessed by the news of these three good religious sisters who were killed in Burundi: http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/09/08/three_xaverian_missionary_sisters_killed_in_burundi/1106129. Please pray for them and for all missionaries.
6. Happy Birthday Mary!
September 3, 2014
1. Mandated insurance coverage of elective abortion is being pushed by California’s government: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/california-places-abortion-mandate-on-insurers-of-catholic-universities-emp/.
2. The real war on women can be seen in unsafe chemical abortions prescribed without a doctor ever seeing the mother: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/386922/abortion-industrys-war-rural-women-mailee-smith. All about women’s health, right?
3. Wesley Smith on the reprehensible use of the word "vegetable" to describe human beings: http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/386861/taking-pride-v-word-unrepentant-bigotry-wesley-j-smith.
4. Just in case you feel compelled to dump a bucket of ice on your head for charity, there is a pro-life research center you can support: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1403637.htm.
5. Or, you can choose a more refined approach to the ice bucket challenge: